We’re already well into National Poetry Month, a world-wide celebration of all things poetry! Established by the Academy of American Poets in April of 1996, this annual celebration sets aside a small part of each year to remind us all – students, teachers, librarians, booksellers, readers, and writers from all around the globe – of the gift poetry can be in our daily lives.
There are many ways to celebrate. Here are a few suggestions:
- Janet Wong and Sylvia Vardell will be presenting their “Poetry Roundup” at TLA. Can’t make it? Follow Janet and Pomelo Books on Facebook and/or on Twitter ( @ @ )
- Reading Rockets: “Poets on Poetry,” “Learning through Poetry,” Poetry Booklists” and more!
- Celebrate National Poetry Month with Scholastic’s Printables and Prompts.
- Scroll down to find ReadWriteThink’s poetry lessons for classroom teachers.
- Poem in Your Pocket Day is next week. Join in the fun!
- Finally, check out the ReaderKidZ posts below for more great poetry recommendations: